The Society for the Study of Early Christianity (SSEC) was established at Macquarie University within the Ancient Cultures Research Centre (ACRC). This assists SSEC to fulfill its aims through the study of the New Testament in its times, including its Jewish and Graeco/Roman context, and the development of early Christianity.
The Society was launched by the Vice-Chancellor on 8 May 1987, and a Constitution for the Society was approved by the Council of Macquarie University in December 1987.
The study of Christianity poses important historical questions and intense interest has surrounded the investigation of its origins in the first century and the early phases of its growth. Fresh information on this period continues to become available in astonishing quantities, ripe for research. Macquarie University is also committed to undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in these areas.
The Society has no ecclesiastical ties but may collaborate on academic occasions with theological colleges of all denominations and with the Jewish community.
Aims of the Society
- To encourage the study of the New Testament in its times and related topics.
- To build up resources for this study (for example, books, papyri, coins).
- To organise conferences, public lectures, seminars and other activities to which the Society’s members are invited.
- To circulate three Newsletters a year outlining forthcoming activities.
Membership is open to the public by payment of the annual subscription. Donations above this amount may be claimable as a tax deduction. See our web page calledMembership.
- A Visiting Fellow of high academic standing is invited to be the key speaker at the annual Conference each May.
- If you wish the register for our next annual Conference; then phone us on (02) 9850 7512 or see our web page called Conference.
- Or if you would like details of our upcoming events then see our web page calledCalendar of Events.
See our web page called Newsletters. Please let us know if you want to receive your future SSEC Newsletters electronically. This will significantly lower our printing & postage costs, email: SSEC@mq.edu.au
OR OUR FACEBOOK PAGE