Hello again to all my dear followers! This post is kind of a follow up to my post on the Parkinson’s Disease in Ancient History. It is all very well looking at the past but we must also look to the future.
I would love for some of you to take the five minutes to read the below information and/or visit my fundraising page just to raise a little more awareness about Parkinson’s Disease.
Parkinson’s Disease is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system resulting in decreased motor skills due to the death of dopamine-generating cells. Symptoms include tremors and rigidity, gait, slowness in movement, cognitive issues, sensory and emotional issues, sleep problems and depression. With over 80,000 people in Australia living with Parkinson’s, it is almost certain that you know someone affected by it.
The Role Reversal
There is unfortunately a limited awareness of Parkinson’s Disease in modern society. If you would like to find out more about Parkinson’s for yourself, family or friends, then please go to
which provides information, support, helplines and ways you can help.
It’s only in the last while, with the likes of celebrities such as Michael J Fox, Mohammed Ali and the last Pope being affected, that it is finally getting some coverage.
There is no cure for Parkinson’s disease, but there are effective treatment and therapyoptions that can help manage symptoms, so people with Parkinson’s disease can continue to enjoy many years of independent and productive lives.
- Mathematician develops vocal method of testing for Parkinson’s disease (medicalxpress.com)
- Researchers identify role of FOXO1 gene in Parkinson’s disease (medicalxpress.com)
- Sleep disorder has ‘big links’ to Parkinson’s disease (time4sleep.co.uk)
- Freezing Parkinson’s in its tracks (sciencedaily.com)
- Sleep May Ease Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease (nlm.nih.gov)
- Scientists discover genetic switch that turns off ‘incurable’ Parkinson’s (scotsman.com)
- A ‘moving day’ for those with Parkinson’s disease (kansascity.com)
- Wisconsin Native Bikes to St. Louis for Parkinson’s Fundraiser (fox2now.com)
- Parkinson’s Disease Patient Tells Personal Story to Benefit PD Research; Donates Book Proceeds to PD Charities (prweb.com)
- Huntsville runner with Parkinson’s disease to run in marathon (al.com)